6/3/10

AFRICA TRIP 2010 - DAY 2

Wednesday, June 2, 2010
We landed at a familiar place for me, Schipol Airport, in Amsterdam around 11:30am and had an 8-hour layover until our flight to Nairobi. We decided to throw our bags in a couple lockers at the airport and take the train into the city centre. It was a perfect weather day as we enjoyed one of my favorite cities. I played tour guide since I’d been there several times before. We grabbed some lunch and then coffee afterward in the square. After taking pictures and some light shopping, we headed back to the train station to return to the airport.
As we were walking back to the station, I heard someone say my name. I looked up and saw Mark Hall and the rest of the Casting Crowns people! It’s strange enough to run into people you know in the States, but in Amsterdam? On the same street? At the exact same time? It turns out they are on their own World Vision trip to Rwanda, Africa. They even wound up being on our next flight to Nairobi. Weird…and awesome. So we all headed back to the airport together to rest up before our next flight.
As per Stellar Kart tradition, I had to make a stop at the McDonald’s in the airport before we left. After finishing my nuggets, I slept for the first time on the trip. I took about an hour-long nap on a very uncomfortable bench (which my “friends” with whom I am traveling documented with an amazingly unflattering photo) and then took off on my second 8-hour flight in 24 hours. The movie selection on the previous KLM flight was amazing, but the in-flight entertainment on Kenya Airways did not work at all. I tried to fall asleep while crammed in the seat next to a man wearing an oversized puffy coat that far surpassed the space allotted to him on this plane. Fortunately, exhaustion set in quickly and I was able to nod off for a few hours on the way to Kenya.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jabes Aquino said...

cool! do you love McDonalds don't you? well, me too.. oh by the way, please have a visit here in the Philippines, oh how i long for that. God Bless You Guys.. Ü

9:38 PM  
Anonymous Martine said...

Awesome!!!
I was I could have met in Amsterdam!
Have fun! :)

3:45 AM  
Anonymous Martine said...

Awesome!!!
I was I could have met in Amsterdam!
Have fun! :)

3:45 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home