6/14/10

AFRICA TRIP 2010 - DAY 4

Friday, June 4, 2010
I woke up refreshed at 6:45am and headed down to breakfast. After we ate and had our morning devotional, we loaded up in the bus and headed to a place called Chikumbuso. Chikumbuso is a school/safe-house for women. We played soccer with the kids and handed out candy. The women have a small shop where they make handbags, purses, bracelets, and other items out of recycled trash bags. They are absolutely beautiful and we bought a ton of stuff from them. After spending about an hour at Chikumbuso, we headed to the “mall” to load up on supplies (water, powerbars, tp, etc…) and soccer balls. We bought about sixty soccer balls to distribute to the kids in the villages while those in our group who get to visit their sponsor children bought items like cooking oil, corn meal, sugar, salt, and other items we use on a daily basis that these people rarely get to use.
Again, we all climbed back into the bus that was now completely filled with luggage, soccer balls, cases of water, and cooking supplies. We set out on what we were told was a 3-hour drive (approximately 180 kilometers) to the Kozo Lodge in Choma. Almost 6 hours later, because of poor roads and a slow driver, we arrived just in time for a dinner of pumpkin soup, shema (a doughy, thick, mostly tasteless vat of cooked cornmeal), baked chicken, rice, bread, and vegetables. After dinner, we met Charles, the World Vision leader for the ADP (Area Development Program) in Twachiyanda and he briefed us on our schedule for the next four days. When it was time for bed, I walked in to my hut (about the size of my master bathroom that literally had a grass roof) and set up a mosquito net over my bed for the first time in my life. I was asked earlier in the day to lead the morning devotional, so I laid down and read to prepare for the morning.
Up to this point, it seems as though I have been constantly traveling. My patience has been tested and my physical limits pushed by exhaustion and I haven’t even reached the field. I am reminded again that life is indeed a journey, and does not begin only once we’ve reached our destination. I tried during this quiet time to focus on what exactly it is that I am trying to accomplish here. I believe that this trip is simply a way for me to act out my faith and prove that my faith is alive. I am called to care for the widows and orphans, give hope to the hopeless, and help those who cannot help themselves.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home